24 and Menopause ... two words I thought would never go together ...


Philippians 4:11 ... for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

I decided to make a blog as a way to digitally scrap book our memories and our lives, good and bad. So I want to share this post because one I want to look back on it and two because maybe someone would read this post and be encouraged to go get a pap smear. It's important as women to know our bodies and to take care of them, even if you are young it's important to get pap smears! I know a lot of people who have never or just don't get pap smears - ever. It's scary, because to me this is one of the areas of my body that I don't want ANYTHING to ever be wrong with and if you know your body and take care of it, things can be prevented and taken care of before it gets worse. I would just encourage all women to get a pap smear once a year and if you think something is wrong with your body, don't wait go see a doctor! I thought nothing was wrong with me, now look at me ...

So today, to me, this is when the real journey begins ... I'm 24 and soon to be going through a "Mild Menopause" ....

I really don't like to go to the doctor unless I'm like dying and I hate to take medicine unless I've just been cut open. So when I started to have some pelvic pain a few weeks ago I thought it was nothing and it would just go away. Well it didn't so my Mom talked me into going to see my gynecologist. I was thinking that I might have a cyst because I've had them before and the pain was in the same area but it just didn't hurt as much as in the past, so I thought that I was just being crazy and it was probably just cramps or something - nothing serious. So I really didn't want to go to the doctor. I have many times gone to the doctor because I thought something was wrong and to my surprise I'm totally fine and I thought this might be the same.

About a week ago (3 days before Christmas) I had a procedure called an Oophorectomy. That is when you have one of your ovaries removed. I had to have an ovary removed because I have Endometriosis which is when cells from the lining of the uterus begin growing outside the uterus. In my rare case the Endometriosis caused a Endometrioid cyst to grow on one of my ovaries. The cyst was large (like around the size of an orange maybe, but more of an oval shape.) And they had to remove the cyst and the ovary.

To make a long story short, the surgery went well and today I got a shot that will make me go into menopause. I got some pills to take in a couple weeks that will make the symptoms more mild the doctor said. But this is a journey that at 24 years old I NEVER thought I would be going through. The shot and the process of this menopause will last for 6 months and my doctor hopes that by doing this it will help get the endometriosis under control. And what happens after that 6 months is up??? ... well I'll keep you posted when that time comes.

I'm sure I'll have more to talk about in a few week .... A lot of people have been asking what is going on, so there you have it! I just want to thanks everyone for all their support, uplifting words of encouragement and prayers. By far this is a difficult time for me and hard to deal with; at times I'm fine and at other times it's very stressful and depressing, but I have decided to leave it in God's hands. It's hard to do but I'm not going to worry about it (too much) anymore because I can't change it so I have to embrace it ....


Philippians 4:11 ... for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

6 comments:

Tess Cormell said...

YOU HAVE CERTAINLY HAD A ROUGH GO OF THINGS! MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH BOTH OF YOU AS RECOVER FROM ALL YOUR PAINS--PHYSICAL AND OTHERWISE! GOOD LUCK IN THIS NEW YEAR! :)

endlessglowbyjessica said...

Hey Holly... it's Jessica Hintz from high school and I found your blog through Kristen Kaprowski's... anyways I just read your post and want you to know I will be praying for you! Women's bodies are so crazy b/c stuff down there affects our minds, emotions everything else! I am so glad you are okay and I will be praying this works for you so you don't have any more pain or issues! I am glad to see you are doing well. Feel free to check out my blog if you want www.jleighh.blogspot.com... Good luck!

Davis and Laura said...

Oh Holly. Thanks so much for the post! My prayers and thoughts are definately with you and your husband. What a hard thing to deal with. I'm so sorry and hope that everything goes well with the shots and any upcoming surgeries. Let me know if I can do anything although I understand how a prayer can sometimes be the best. Love you girl, hang in there.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Holly, this is Cindy Phillips. I am sorry that you are going through this all Holly, but as a person who has had the same things go wrong but at 19 I can tell you, you will be ok. It is hard to get the shot and go through the menopause symptoms, I had horrible hot flashes and mood swings (I didn't get anything to combat the symptoms), but in the end it was like a light switched was flipped and I went back to my normal self. Just don't get frustrated and realize that you won't have control of your entire emotions. I have faith in you that you can do this, if you need any advice or a person to confide in that has been through this please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I will always be here for you! PS I always found that focusing on a mental image of myself with a family (which this will help you achieve easier) helped me through the hardest and most difficult moments.

Camille said...

What a journey you have been through in the last year and how your faith has grown because of what you have been through. I admire your faith and your trust in God that he will take care of you and to be content in the situation you are in as it says in Phillipians. I know through different experiences than you that if you put your trust in god and take that leap of faith he will take care of you and you will be happy. My prayers are with you holly and I hope your doing better.